On Thursday afternoon (January 19) the students had an extended recess while we worked to put out a small fire in the school’s canteen. A box of hotdog buns started on fire when it was placed too closely to a stove element. There was no damage done (except the sad loss of the hot dog buns) and no one was hurt. Students and staff responded quickly and appropriately to the fire alarms which went off on their own just as they should. Fire trucks were dispatched to the school and an inspection was done to ensure safety before anyone was allowed back into the building. We are very grateful that the weather was mild, that the students and staff knew exactly what to do (that’s why we do fire drills), and that we were able to address the issue promptly. Thank you to our back-up custodian, Mr. Ray Connelly, and to our local fire department for their quick responses!

in: General